US 41 expansion, Winnebago County (WIS 26 to Breezewood Lane)
US 41 is a major transportation corridor linking Green Bay, the Fox Valley and northern Wisconsin to the major urban centers of Madison and Milwaukee and the rest of the country. It is classified as a multi-lane backbone route on the Wisconsin Department of Transportation's (WisDOT) Corridors 2020 plan, which allocates high priority funding to highways connecting major regions and economic centers.
In Winnebago County, US 41 serves local economic development in Oshkosh, Neenah and surrounding towns and is the only high-speed route crossing the Lake Butte des Morts/Fox River system.
Many deficiencies prevent US 41 from being fully functional. The existing roadway was originally designed for rural traffic volumes. High volumes of urban traffic and congestion affect safety, mobility and economic development.
To address these issues, WisDOT is planning an expansion and improvement project from Breezewood Lane to WIS 26 in Winnebago County.
The project will:
- Upgrade the existing four-lane roadway to a six-lane roadway.
- Upgrade seven interchanges along the route to modern design standards, which include:
- WIS 26
- WIS 44
- 9th Avenue
- WIS 21
- Lake Butte des Morts Causeway
- US 45
- WIS 76
- Breezewood Lane
- WIS 26
- Lengthen on-ramps for future ramp meters.
- Investigate locations for future Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS). These systems provide traffic information to motorists and monitor ramp metering.
- Address access management needs.
- Provide bicycle/pedestrian facilities.